Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Cautiously Optimistic

I've had a deluge of e-mail since the "agreement in principal" was announced. It seems a lot of (usually anonymous) people want to know what I think of "the deal". Flattering as that is, I'm like everyone else and the answer is "I don't know yet".

I will say that I have some cautious optimism that some small steps have been taken in the right direction. I am basing this on the "highlights" in the CBC On The Line Toronto newsletter and on Lisa Lareau's remarks to the Toronto line on Monday. However, I will reserve my final judgement until I have read the agreement and attended ratification meetings. At least, I think the amount of blogging and other writing from this under-represented group had an impact on the CMG's recognition of us as a force with which to be reckoned.

I've done a lot of research on the law surrounding the treatment and rights of freelancers and on the involvement of freelancers in collective bargaining. I am certain that whatever my final position on this new agreement, there will be much more work to do in this area.

A group of casuals is taking a similar approach and is willing to share what they learn with other casuals, temps, etc. Anyone who would like to be added to their mailing list should e-mail cbccasuals@hotmail.com.

While I may not have been very complimentary to the Canadian Media Guild in some of my postings, I would like to pay my compliments on their management of this lousy Lockout experience. They did a remarkable job in getting a large payroll organized quickly and keeping it running efficiently. Their efforts in getting information out was also commendable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home